Clare E. Wherley
Chief Executive Officer
In 1985, Clare E. Wherley co-founded Lassus Wherley, a wealth management firm with offices in New Providence, New Jersey and Bonita Springs, Florida. Clare is Chief Executive Officer of the company.
Licenses, Degrees and Designations
- BS Mathematics – Duquesne University, 1966
- MBA – University of San Francisco, 1973
- MBA Accounting – Fairleigh Dickinson University, 1988
- Certified Public Accountant – New Jersey State Board of Accountancy, 1989
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification – CFP® Board of Standards, 1993
Clare has worked in a variety of accounting and computer positions at AT&T, Western Electric, Bell Laboratories and Pacific Telephone from 1966 to 1987. She directed the entire telecommunications and electronic messaging system for the 1984 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
At Lassus Wherley, Clare's responsibilities include direction of the tax and financial planning departments, deployment of the company's computer hardware and software technology, and leadership of various internal development teams.
She oversees the company's administrative functions and has overall responsibility for professional activities.
- Multiyear (2013-2017) Five Star Wealth Manager
- 2014 Five Star Certified Public Accountant
- Honored in 2012 at the Executive Women of New Jersey's “Salute to the Policy Makers” Awards Dinner
- Among the Top 25 Leading Women Entrepreneurs & Business Owners in New Jersey-Own It Ventures and New Jersey Monthly, 2011
- One of New Jersey's 2010 Best 50 Women in Business - NJBIZ
- One of the Women of Achievement by Business & Professional Women of New Jersey, 2009
- Presenter – Financial Planning Summit, Chicago, 2008 and 2009
- Selected as one of America's Top Financial Planners – Consumers' Research Council of America, 2005-2006
- Helen Dooley Edwards Award on behalf of Lassus Wherley - Summit Business and Professional Women's Club, 2001
- Business Person of the Year – Suburban Chamber of Commerce, 1994
- Who's Who of American Women and Who's Who in the West
- Clare, her business partner Diahann and the firm have been featured and/or quoted in numerous articles in magazines and newspapers.
- Clare is a frequent contributor to Biz Brain articles in The Star-Ledger of New Jersey.
Clare firmly believes in the importance of professional affiliations for educational, advocacy and networking purposes. For this reason, she has been an active member of the following organizations:
- Board Secretary, District of Columbia Youth ChalleNGe Foundation, 2010 to 2013
- New Providence Business and Professional Association – Vice President and Membership Chair, 2006 to Present
- New Jersey Association of Women Business Owners
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- SAGE (Board of Trustees, Past President)
- Women’s Resource Center (Past Treasurer)
- St. Hubert’s Giralda, Planned Giving Program
- Women’s Financial Network at Siebert, a division of Muriel Siebert & Co., Inc.
- Financial Planning Association
- Financial Planning Association of New Jersey
- NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor (National Association of Personal Financial Advisors)